Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

A proferring of ashes



I'm usually fairly egotistical, but I have restrained myself in part by thinking of Christ's admonition against flaunting my personal holiness:

“When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward." (Matthew 6:5)

So I was mildly horrified in my youth..., on Ash Wednesdays, to get my ashes and then to have to wear them all day. As Sister said. I know we should not hide our faith, but jeepers! What could be more showy than wearing a black patch smack in the middle of your forehead?

So, I make it a practice to wipe off my ashes soon after I leave church. Actually, as soon as it won't look disrespectful to be doing it. Surely, by the time I get into my car to head home.

But last night, after Ash Wednesday, I forgot. I headed to the library to pick up some books that were on hold. I was my usual self, joking around with the librarians, checking out the new arrivals and playing with the new self-checkout lane. When I get home, I caught a glimpse of myself in the bathroom mirror -- and the huge, black, ashy cross on my forehead.

So Jesus, does it still as prayer if I didn't know I was showing off?

No comments: