Pages

Friday, May 17, 2013

Pentecost Countdown Day 7: Wisdom

 
Wisdom: the capacity to love spiritual things more than material ones.

Here's where many in the developed world fall down. whatever we believe about religion, we (and I include myself here) enjoy homes stuffed full of electronics, expensive nights at the movies or restaurants and new (or nearly new) automobiles. Sometimes, the closest we come to a live of simplicity is to point to clothes in our closets that we not will not wear and to promise that someday, we'll donate them.

We are wise about the ways of the material world. We know where to shop to get the best deals, know how much a deal is worth to balance against the gas needed to get there. We know the tax loopholes and deductions, and know how to move our money around to get the best interest rates. When we scrimp, it might mean going out to eat once a weeks rather than two, or to quaff a glass of win at home rather than in a restaurant.

Wisdom about spiritual matters. Maybe not so much.

I would rather pray for a sick person than to visit. Is that just as good? I did a prison ministry once, but it creeped me out. Is that bad? I give of my time to write blog posts, but don't get beyond small talk with most people. Is that shallow?

I am not all bad. I listen to my family. I try to become kinder and less sharp-tongued. I try to be a lover, not just a critic. I talk to people who have been sick or away. I am a friend to gays and outcasts. I give (a little) to charities through paycheck withdrawal. I try to find truth and persuade others of it. I pray. I question. I wrestle with God.

Probably better than some, not than others.

Maybe the best wisdom come from a guy who was really in touch with the spirit of God, St. Paul.
There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.
Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.
 
I didn't see "blog writer" in the list, but I think I get the picture.

Lord, may I appreciate the gifts you have given me, and not spend too much time dwelling on those I lack. May I use these gifts for your glory, and to advance the cause of your kingdom. May my gifts touch hearts and make me worthy of a place in your kingdom. I ask this in the name of Jesus, the Lord.

No comments: